Confused What to Sell on Shopify? Checkout These 30+ Top Selling Products
Running short of time? Get PDF of the blog in your mail.
Having a great online store elevates the user experience but shoppers won’t scroll your store if they don’t get what they are looking for. This article will help you in figuring out what you can sell on Shopify in 2021 by tracking down some of the top-selling products of 2020 along with some of the best selling niches online.
Some sellers when starting their Shopify store focus on creating a product, building a great website, planning marketing campaigns, and so on and so forth. But these people are missing out on a crucial thing – figuring out if there’s a market for that product. Are there customers out there who want to buy it?
With that said, if you want to go where the sales are, you need to know what were the best selling products of 2020 and what probably can be the emerging niches in 2021. If you’re able to figure out these two things, you’ll not only have a firm answer of what to sell on Shopify, but nothing can stop you from becoming the favorite seller of all time!
What were the Best Selling Niches in 2020?
But why do you need to know about the best selling niches when you already have a list of top-selling products with you?
Well, consider it as micro and macro factors. Niches will give you a macro idea about consumer behavior and the products will tell you about what people are purchasing.
There is no particular sequence of best selling niches!
- Home Improvement – With a rising stay-at-home culture people from across the globe are looking for products that can help them have a comfortable stay-at-home experience. In fact, during the festival season of 2020, a majority of top-selling products were from the home improvement category.
According to the trends, Canada, the US, and Australia were the top countries where people are purchasing products related to this niche. If you’re a Shopify seller residing in either of the countries, you exactly know what to sell on your Shopify store! Just include products related to this best selling niche in your store.
- Furniture & Fittings – Isn’t that obvious? From office desks to comfortable chairs, stressbusters, etc – people shopped items that could add value to their desks, and homes!
Look at the trends – it clearly tells that this niche was on the verge of decline but the second half of 2020 changes everything and furniture and fittings turned out to be one of the best selling niches on the internet.
- Pet Food & Accessories – If you’re a pet enthusiast and a Shopify seller (at the same time) then you’ll find all your answers about what to sell on Shopify right here!
With awareness campaigns on stray dogs, pet food and accessories have become the best selling niche globally!
- CBD – Also known as medicinal marijuana. Although it’s just a pill extracted from a hemp plant, it cures the cruelest childhood epilepsy, stress, seizures, and much more!
You can’t imagine the market for cannabidiol. It’s huge! All 50 states in the US have laws legalizing CBD (with varying degrees of restrictions). Soon after it was legalized, it didn’t take much time for it to become one of the best selling niches on the internet! The graph below clearly tells that niche is rising and it’s on its verge of becoming the most popular search term over time.
- Health & Safety – Apart from it being one of the best selling niches of all time, it’s also a basic need and a desire of online shoppers. If you’re a drop shipper, you sure know the essence of this niche.
- Jewelry Products – This niche has been (and probably will be) the sweet-spot for online sellers. Every year during the festive season, this niche performs amazingly!
So these were some of the best selling niches of 2020. By now we hope that the dilemma of what to sell on Shopify is half blurred to you! Let’s remove the rest of the blurriness by revealing the best selling products!
Best Selling Products in Home Improvement & Kitchen Category –
If you’re a budding seller dealing with home improvement merchandise and confused about what to sell on Shopify that shoppers are searching for, then don’t worry! You have a lot of stuff to choose from.
- Vegetable Cutter – Multifunctional kitchen products were the greatest trends in 2020. Vegetable cutter had generates hundreds of orders in the past months making it one of the best selling products in this category.
Vegetable cutters had a sharp growth since July 2014 and in 2020, there are some 40K monthly searches for this product. This insight should be enough to support your doubt about what to sell on Shopify!
To slice up the competition, you’ll need to run Google ads targetting New Zealand, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, the US, Canada, and the US.
- Silicone Based Utensils – Silicone-based cooking tools are becoming popular selling items due to properties like – high-heat resistance, stain-resistance, non-corrosiveness, and safe to use. The term silicone tools get approximately 5400 monthly searches and this volume is expected to increase in the coming time.
If you’re dealing with the kitchen niche, then this is what you should be selling in your Shopify store. Silicone cooking toolset has generated decent orders during the festive season of 2020.
To get your cooking tools into more customer’s kitchens, you can run Google ads targeting Canada, the US, UK, India, Pakistan, Australia, Philippines. You can also run video ads with an explainer about the benefits of having this top-selling product while showing them being used.
- Make-up Organizer – It seems like during the lockdown days ladies were on a mission to organize their makeup shelves. Probably that’s why makeup organizers were the top-selling products during 2020.
As per the search intent of online shoppers, make organizers get approximately 10-15K searches every month. If you’re selling makeup products in your Shopify store you can offer this one too! See how quickly shoppers add this item to their carts.
To market this top-selling product, you can create a compelling video showcasing how easily it can organize one’s cosmetics. Also, don’t forget to target keywords like – cosmetics, smart makeup organizers, portable makeup drawers, and likewise.
- Burrito Blanket – An oddly satisfying product that’s emerging out to be people’s favorite. Blankets in the form of burritos might not be something that you can sell exclusively, but you can have this product as one of the side merchandise to give a sudden boost to your sales.
- Air Purifier – Pandemic time made people realize that staying healthy won’t be enough. Making our surroundings healthy should also be a matter of concern. Also, due to increasing pollution, air purifiers were the top-selling products in 2020.
Just by looking at the search history, it’s clearly visible that this product is grabbing a lot of sales and in the coming time, the graph will only go in the upwards direction. But remember, this product has a lot of competition from giants. To be able to surpass them might be a bit difficult but if you’re able to do this, there is nothing stopping you from grabbing fortnight sales!
Also check – Best selling products during Christmas 2020
Best Selling Products in Furniture & Fittings –
People nowadays don’t wait for the furniture to get obsolete so that they can buy a new one. The product life cycle has reduced because now there are shoppers who are ready to purchase second-hand furniture. Moreover, 2020 saw a sudden surge in furniture in the fittings category because shoppers wanted to make their home a cozy place to live and work.
- Vacuum Cleaner – Having a clean and hygienic house is something of utmost importance. But with a busy schedule no-one has got time t clean the entire house by themselves. To tackle this issue, vacuum cleaners have taken up the lead. From a basic vacuum cleaner to a smart robot vacuum – it was the best-selling product under the furniture and fittings niche in 2020. Robot vacuum grabbed more than 8K orders during the festive months.
If you look at the trends, there’s a lot of scope for robot vacuum cleaners (smart cleaners). The robot vacuum has a mindblowing 135000 monthly search volume making it one of the top-selling products in 2020. To promote this merchandise, start with a search-based approach – run Google ads on high ranking keywords. Roll out a video ad showcasing your product and covering its unique features to the audience.
- Smart Water Purifier – They are insanely popular. In 2020 alone, this product had close to 200,000 searches making it the best selling product under the niche. Water purifiers are an evergreen product. They have had the same level of popularity for a few years. If you’re searching for what to sell on Shopify that has long-term relationships with consumers, then water purifiers are the answer!
However, be ready to face stiff competition for this product from other sellers. Running ads will be a great choice, but once again, your ad should be capable enough to capture user’s attention.
- Smart Lights – From smartphones to smartwatches and now smart lights – every other gadget is going smart. Through voice recognition or neural patterns, you can now switch on/off your lights, or according to your mood, you can dim the lights.
While global pandemic made shoppers re-think their home and furniture. It was the irresistible deals during holidays that made people drool over smart lights and other electronic goodies. To be able to sell this top-selling product you can showcase the lighting through a compelling video and run ads on social media, and on Google itself.
- Photo Lamps – Photo lamps are perfect gifting goodies. From 3D photo lamps to personalized lamps – they are turning out to be the top-selling products of all time. If you’re wondering what to sell on Shopify that could offer a personalized touch, then 3D photo lamps, personalized lamps is the perfect answer.
As per the global trends, shoppers from Canada, the US, Sweden, France, Poland, India, Indonesia, and Australia are ordering this popular selling item. It’s no wonder that the personalized niche is brewing in the global market.
You can start selling this item like a boss once you’re able to create its hype. You can capture a soothing video of lamps and run ads on social media. Get in touch with influencers and ask for a shout-out.
- Night Light Projector – Kicked off as a product and now it has become a popular selling item online. A product that turns house parties into clubs, and boring nights into cosmic nights!
Since this top-selling product is more of a decorative item, you’ve got to showcase its beauty through images and video and try and make it viral on the internet. If you’re wondering what to sell on Shopify that could cater to international shoppers, then you should consider selling this product. Russia, India, Australia, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Germany, Canada, the US are some countries where this was the popular selling item last year.
- Trekking Headlamps – This product might not be able to grab the limelight in 2020 but the future of trekking headlamps seems to be bright. This product will definitely make a come-back in 2021 and turn out to be a popular selling item among adventure seekers.
You need to promote this product by keeping trekkers in mind. And because there are a lot of variants of this top-selling product, you can highlight its key features and rotate it across social media platforms.
- Selfie Light – From a fashion enthusiast to mobile photographers, this top-selling product solves the issue of low-lighting. Canada, the US, Russia, Argentina, Mexico, India, South Africa are some countries where shoppers are searching for this product like crazy! Selfie light is another product that has international demand. You will see a lot of drop shippers selling this item.
- Seat Cushion – That’s a useful product for people who are into long-drives and offroading. From August 2019 to May 2020, seat cushions grabbed millions of search queries. In countries like Canada, the US, UK, and New Zealand, the seat cushion is a popular selling item.
To promote this product, you can include keywords like – comfort seat cushions, foam cushions, seat cushions for cars, and run ads on social media and on Google.
- Tripods – Tripod stands are a sweet spot for sellers and buyers of all kinds. With digital creators taking the lead in 2020, tripods have been one of the best selling products in the mobile accessories category.
Once again, if you’re wondering what to sell on Shopify that has international demand, then you should eye on tripods. Search intent for tripods is increasing year-over-year and people from across the globe are searching for this product.
To promote this popular selling item, you’ve to run rigorous ads and highlight its prime features. Because it’s one of the few products that have demand from across the globe, it’s not that easy to dominate this product. But once you’re able to catch user’s attention there is nothing to stop you from being the top Shopify seller in the niche.
- Indoor Plants – This product gained momentum during the lockdown times. After realizing the dire need for fresh and purifying air, people are searching and purchasing indoor plants like crazy. This is perhaps the best selling product in 2020.
Promoting this popular selling item won’t be an issue (if you know what users are searching for). You can release a series of blog posts highlighting the importance of this product and run ads on Google and social media by targetting keywords like – indoor plants, house plants, air-purifying plants, and so on. You can also include low search volume keywords like – low maintenance, interior and modern.
- Sofa cum Bed – Trends on sofa cum bed is an interesting one. Before March 2020, this product had a very nominal year-over-year growth. But post-March 2020, it became one of the popular selling products. Why? We all know the reason!
If you’re a seller dealing with the home and furniture niche and still confused about what else to sell on Shopify, this product can turn out to be one of the best selling products of your store.
You can cater to shoppers from Canada, the US, Brazil, Australia, India, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, New Zealand, Indonesia and become an international Shopify seller. However, you need to spend some time promoting this product. Try a combination of ads and blog posts and target keywords like – comfortable, portable, folding sofa, sofa beds, etc.
- Laptop Stands – While people started working from home, soon they realized that they needed to upgrade their workspace. Shoppers started ordering pen stands, calendars, and organizers. But nothing was as popular as this product was.
If you look at the trends you can easily figure out the hidden potential in this top-selling product. No wonder its sales are bound to arise in the future.
- Wall Heater – Thanks to technology for mixing water heaters with air blowers that can make a living room warm and cozy. Although wall heaters are seasonal products because they are handy and small in size, they were the popular selling items last year.
Popular Selling Items in Pet Accessories –
If you’re a budding seller dealing with pet products and still confused about what to sell on Shopify that pet owners are searching for, this is what you need to read.
- Pet Bed – The popularity of pet products is increasing like anything. Some years ago pet beds were stiff and had a basic design. But today you have a lot of options to choose from. Luxury beds, wooden beds, modern, designer, extra-large, and handmade pet beds are to name a few. The popularity of pet beds is so much that online sellers are now launching a dedicated store that features products exclusively for pet’s well-being and grooming.
To promote this popular selling item, you can partner up with Instagram fan pages and ask for a shout-out or a link in Instagram stories. You can also go for influencer marketing, but fan pages are highly recommended.
- Dog Seat Cover – Gone are the days when pets used to wait for their owners to come back home. Now, people are keen to take their pets with them (almost) wherever they go. This popular selling item keeps the car clean from dog furs (which otherwise can be a headache to clean). Dog seat covers are best selling products in the US, Canada, UK, and Australia.
To effectively promote this product, you can create a video ad, or pair up with influencer travelers. Facebook and Instagram are popular channels where you can run ads to capture user’s attention.
- Biting Toys – The market for biting toys is just behemoth! From a newborn infant to the pers, there’s one biting toy for all. There are so many variants in this category that it’s actually difficult to tell which one was the most sold item last year. Here’s what the search intent tells –
France, Canada, and the US are the regions where biting toys are being searched the most. For this popular selling item, your best bet should be a search-based approach. You can run display ads or Google shopping ads with keywords like – dog toys, interactive dog toys, multifunction biting toys, and likewise.
- Dog Toothbrush – Shoppers of the 21st century are not only conscious about their own well-being but are equally conscious about their pet’s well-being. That’s one big reason why pet accessories are the best selling products on the internet. This keyword alone generated 33,000 monthly searches.
If you’re sellers from the US, Canada, UK, Australia, Brazil, or South Africa, then this product should solve your dilemma of what to sell on Shopify. To promote this popular selling item you can run ads for dog toothbrushes. Create a blog talking about pet hygiene.
- Dog/Cat Jackets – Although it’s a seasonal product its demand comes from across the world! A lot of pet owners are bundling up their dogs and cats with winter coats and vests. This popular selling item generated over 7000 orders during the 1st hours of Cyber weekend!
For dog jackets, there’s huge demand coming from Canada, the US, Brazil, South Africa, Australia, Sweden, Italy, UK, and India. Germany, Saudi Arabia, and Indonesia are the places where you can easily capture shoppers searching jackets for their kittens.
You need to start the promotion of this merchandise before winters arrive. November and December are the months when dogs/cats jackets become the best selling products. You need to include keywords like a puffer jacket, dog jackets to have a strong presence on the search engine.
- Cat Litter Mat – Pet products relating to cat litter are racking up high order volume. During recent months this product had over 10000 orders purchased by online shoppers. Cat litter alone gets 74K monthly searches while cat litter mat gets approximately 10K monthly searches.
One reason why cat litter is among the best selling products of 2020 is that users from across the world are searching for it. Canada, the US, Mexico, Brazil, Australia, Russia, India, Sweden, Egypt, and Indonesia are to name a few.
To promote this popular selling item, you need to run Google ads on cat litter, cat litter mat to help people search for your product. Remember, you not only need to sort out what to sell on Shopify, but you also need to work on how you’re going to make your merchandise visible to online shoppers. Top selling items like this will always have stiff competition – and only those sellers are able to beat the competition who are crazy enough to create a viral ad.
- Personalized Dog Collar – Everyone likes to have an identity. Dog collars are a great way to give your pets a unique identity. 90% of dog owners prefer to have a collar for their pets. There is definitely a strong market for this product.
However, this popular selling item is not easy to sell (due to stiff competition from the giants). Running Facebook and Instagram ads will help you here, but you need to be really creative and capture customer’s interest.
- Bird Feeder – LAst (but not the least)product under the pet niche is the bird feeder. If you’re selling only pet accessories, then this product will answer your questions – what to sell on Shopify other than dogs/cats merchandise.
Best Selling Products in Health & Wellness Category –
Having a healthy lifestyle is a necessity and need of the hour. In the same light, as a Shopify seller, you can add value to your customer’s life by offering a range of health and wellness products. Here are some of them –
- Exercise Bands – If you can’t go to the gym, let the gym come to you. Since there was a complete lockdown, gyms were unfortunately shut down. But this didn’t stop gym enthusiasts from working out. With this popular selling item, it doesn’t take much to bring your workouts home.
Exercise bands are a great multipurpose tool to work out a group of muscles. Easy to store and much affordable than other gym equipment. As a seller, you need to showcase the product as well as solve a problem. Run video ads where you can show how convenient these exercise bands are.
- Face Shield – This product might not be the best selling product of all time but you already know its importance in today’s time. It’s expected that this year face shield will continue to dominate the health and wellness niche and remain a popular selling item. If you’re selling health and wellness products in your Shopify store then you’ve got to have this product in your portfolio.
- Posture Corrector – If you’re running a general online store and wondering what to sell on Shopify then you can place your bets on this product. Posture correctors help the users stand tall and straight while supporting their spinal cord.
During the lockdown, people started to take care of their posture. This indeed made posture corrector as a popular selling item in 2020. All you need to do is optimize the product’s landing page for SEO and then re-market it to shoppers who drop by your Shopify store.
- Infrared Thermometer – Now that’s interesting to track! If you’re selling wellness products, you’ve got to include some variants of thermometers as well. A contactless infrared thermometer is the most sold variant. These thermometers can measure temperature from a distance of 12 inches.
The straight graph tells us that shoppers are searching for it and there is still demand in the future. However, be ready to face competition from everywhere!
- Neck Pillow –Neck pillows are famous amongst travelers, and people who suffer from neck pain. In either of the cases, this popular selling merchandise ensures a soothing sleep during the most difficult times without straining one’s neck.
Ask yourself, while you’re working from home aren’t you conscious about your posture? Probably year! And that’s why products like a neck pillow, posture corrector are there for you!
- Pulse Oximeter – A tiny device that uses infrared light to measure how well oxygen is binding to your red blood cells – was (and will be) the popular selling item in the health and wellness niche. While the world was unaware of symptoms of COVID-19, it was this product that indicated people about their breath and heartbeats.
Just by looking at the search trends, we can tell how huge its demand was and will be in the coming time. But this is one of the few products where there’s a lot of competition from sellers of all kinds. If you’re deciding to sell oximeters in your Shopify stores, you need to strong with ads and SEO optimization.
- Pregnancy Pillows – Mothercare is an emerging niche. To have a soothing time while the baby is yet to see the world, this popular selling product for mothers takes care of a mother’s posture and ensures comfort.
If you’re dealing with women’s apparel and thinking about what to sell on Shopify to capture more females, then this pregnancy pillow might be a superstar product.
- Yoga Mats – People have now realized that having a healthy lifestyle is a must. Probably that’s why exercise bands and yoga mats are the best selling products of all time.
Looking at the trends you can easily tell that with time, user search intent for this popular selling item has only grown. And in the coming time, it will only grow! As a Shopify seller, you can put high bets on this product and with extensive ads, you surely can pull a handful of sales and create a loyal customer base.
Best Selling Products in Jewelry Category –
- Charm Bracelet – Every year charm bracelets take over sales and last year was no exception. Charm bracelets have been charming customers year after year. Every festive season these bracelets appear out of nowhere and become the best-selling jewelry products. Recently this popular selling item generated over 17K orders proving it to be a powerhouse for online jewelry sellers.
The keyword charm bracelets get about 110,000 monthly searches while clearly tells that user’s interest in this jewelry item will not fade anytime soon.
To promote this product, you can run Facebook and Instagram ads. You can also target fan pages like Pandora to find your audience.
- Personalized Earrings – Next popular selling jewelry item is earrings. But here is the twist – personalized earrings! People are drooling over earrings that start with their name’s initials.
Search intent clearly tells that there is a customized market brewing in the jewelry niche. We hope you’re not too late to foray into this niche and carve your Shopify store into a brand.
Time to Go Online With These Popular Selling Items by Your Side!
It’s not easy to take the route of online selling. But with Shopify by your side, the journey becomes interesting and full of entrepreneurial learnings. These were some of the popular selling items of 2020.
However, don’t just pick up a top-selling product randomly. First, pick up a niche, evaluate the products that shoppers are searching for like crazy! As soon as you create a base for your Shopify store, we believe you will easily figure out what to sell in your Shopify store.
Below are 2 renowned stores that are doing exceptionally well but their journey started with the question – what to sell on Shopify?
- Pawlife – Mr. Robert Moscato’s Shopify store – Pawlife deals with healthy products rich in vitamins and natural ingredients for dogs of all kinds. Hailing from Noth Carolina, Robert already knew what he was going to sell on Shopify.
But he was unaware of how he could enhance the buyer’s experience and wanted to portray his store as a not-for-profit Shopify store.
As Shopify experts, we took the lead and revamped the store completely. With a free theme, we tried our best to modify it in such a way that no-one could say that this store is running on a free theme!
By the time we handed over the store to Mr. Robert, he was completely amazed to see the work we did. Here’s what he has to say about us –
- MonsterPiercing – A renowned jewelry piercing store – MonsterPiercing used to sell its products through Amazon. But after figuring out the hidden possibilities in the niche, they started selling the merchandise in their own Shopify store.
Summing Up –
So this was all about the best selling products of 2020. As a Shopify seller, don’t just sell what you have. Create a hype, study your niche and observe what are users searching for. Only then your store starts to shine and shoppers keep coming back to your store.
Ps. – Whenever in doubt, don’t freak out. Just reach out to us & we will help you out!